Welcome To My World

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Best Chewy Granola Bar Recipe I've found.

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and
revamped it a bit to the ingredients that I had on hand.
Which is the best thing about this recipe in my opinion.
As long as you have 4 out of the 10 ingredients its easy to swap
some things out for others to adjust to what you've got in
your cupboards and your flavor preferences.

The Vanilla, Wheat Germ, Sesame Seeds,and Almonds are missing from the above picture of the ingredients, but hey nobody's perfect.


First you mix the wet ingredients and then
add the dry and it will look like this.


Then you liberally spray an 8 by 8 inch baking dish and get a spatula. Its a must for evenly pressing this very sticky stuff.


When you're pressing down the granola mixture it might look somewhat like this, especially if you've recently painted your fingernails fuchsia. Make sure its an evenly pressed layer.



This is what it looks like in its raw form.
Wipe your lip I think your drooling.


Then you put it into a 350* Oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges are crispy and browned. My oven usually takes 19 minutes



This is a bad picture I know. Give me a break though because I working with a 3 year old Kodak Easy Share, so yeah, that's that. Anyhow these are the finished product. They are chewy with little bits of chocolate, seeds, nuts, and healthy wheat germ and oatmeal, even with decadent peanut butter. Everything you could want in a granola bar, and you can make it almost as easily as going to the store to buy a box. I keep these things in my pantry just in case I feel the urge to make them. I've gotten these urges regularly ever since I found the recipe.
So make some won't you?

Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
  • 1/4 cup chopped Almonds
  • 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips chopped up

Directions

  1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats, sunflower kernels, chopped almonds, wheat germ and sesame seeds. Fold in chopped chocolate chips.
  2. Press into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until set and edges are browned. Cool completely. Cut into bars.
Note* I've swapped out the brown sugar for granulated sugar when I was out, and you can easily substitute some of the nuts or seeds for something equally delicious like coconut or raisins! Also I store my wheat germ (Bob's Red Mill Brand,) in my freezer. It makes it last longer.


2 comments:

  1. I just put a batch in the oven....waiting for the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I substituted flax seeds for wheat germ. Question: I'm trying to eliminate corn syrup from our diet. What can I substitute for it? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete