Welcome To My World

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Totally Terrific Tortilla Soup

Yesterday I had gotten home late because Wednesdays can be a hectic and fully loaded day for Olie and I. He and I spend the night at our Grandma's houses on Tuesdays. I get to sleep in a comfy warm bed all to myself with an electric blanket in the golden silence that is my Grandma's house, while Olie gets to snuggle up in his little crib in the cozy upstairs nook of my mothers cabin. We all get up early on Wednesday mornings and go to Bible study together, then lunch, then my Mom and Grandma have to go to several thrift and antique stores. There is always a lot of talking, story telling, interrupting, and cackling when my Grandma, Mom and I are in a small space together. So by the time we get back to our own home we are pooped, but I still needed to make my man dinner. So I opened up my fridge and cupboards to see what I had. I decided to make a hearty tortilla soup. It was more than just delicious. It was amazing. Seriously not to toot my own horn but this is certainly some scrumptious & slurp worthy soup!


I took a picture of almost everything that I put in the soup pot minus the bacon, chorizo, green bell pepper & black pepper. Which is sad because the bacon and chorizo are beautiful things. So try to imagine them in the shot for me please.


I took a close up shot of these two ingredients because I feel that they really set of the flavor profile of the soup. Roasted diced tomatoes, and Mexican Sour Cream. Mexican sour cream if you've never had the pleasure, is a bit more creamy and viscous in texture than regular sour cream, which makes it great for stirring into stuff.


I decided to take a shot of the soup with a moracca that I got in Mazatlan Mexico when I was a wee one on a family vacation. For what reason I added it in don't know. I guess I thought it would add a little cultural flair and really get the point across of "hey this is a Latin inspired dish."


This is the finished soup garnished with a piece of fresh oregano and the Mexican sour cream. Stir in the sour cream before enjoying, it's fun.


Totally Terrific Tortilla Soup:

(*Note* I don't measure when I cook so aside from the measurements on cans or bags of things I'm gestamating as far as the exact amount of spices I put in. I can't help it I was taught that way.)

Ingredients:
  • 8oz chorizo sausage
  • 5-6 strips of bacon, cut into pieces
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
  • 1 smallish Yellow Onion (diced)
  • 1 15oz. Can Roasted Tomatoes
  • 1 15oz. Can Yellow Corn with juices
  • 32 oz. Beef Broth
  • 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp. Cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Coriander
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • A sprinkling of salt
  • 5 Crumbled Tostadas
  • 3 smallish Potatoes (diced)
First in a tall soup or stock pot add the diced bacon and turn on the stove top to a little below high and cook until crispy. While its cooking chop your veggies and potatoes. Cook the potatoes on the stove or in a microwave safe dish until fork tender, drain and set aside. Add the chorizo to the pot with the bacon, break it up with wooden spatula until almost cooked through. Now add the diced Onion & Green Bell Pepper and sporadically stir them around until the onion becomes translucent. Pour in the Beef broth, Roasted Tomatoes, the can of corn with the juice, potatoes and spices. Allow to simmer for a bit and add the crumbled tostadas. Allow to simmer some more for about 15-20 minutes or until the soup has thickened a bit. Serve with a dollop of the Mexican sour cream and if you have it, a sprig of fresh oregano. It's fun to have a pretty presentation for your plate even at home. It really completes a meal and gives off that gourmet aesthetic that any diner is looking for, even if its just your husband and a toddler.

1 comment: